Monday, August 23, 2010

I get some good advice from everyone but there is always someone who has to think everything is about abuse.?

I want to let jnwht23 know that anyone who knows anything about animal shelters knows that 80% of animals taken there are euthanized. These little kittens and their mother may be feral cats but God put them on this earth and someone needs to see to their needs. I am trying to take care of several feral unwanted cats by feeding them, loving them and doing my best to take care of their medical needs. If this upsets some of you, I am truly sorry, but I am doing what I have to do to see that as many as possible have a happy, healthy life. That is why I ask for advise from other cat lovers. As I have said before, I am 62 years old and all my children are grown with kids of their own. These unwanted animals are now my children and I would never do anything that I did not think was for their best interest. If they could all talk you would know they had rather sleep outside my front door knowing they are loved than be put to sleep just because no one cared.I get some good advice from everyone but there is always someone who has to think everything is about abuse.?
I think the world is a cruel place for animals and that when Jesus returns he save all our poor animals from this horrible,terrible,despicable fate which is bestowed upon their sorrow filled hearts!!!!!I get some good advice from everyone but there is always someone who has to think everything is about abuse.?
Good for you. I also feed the ferals in my Brooklyn neighborhood. I know that they would be better off if they had homes, but I also know that bringing them to a shelter could likely be a death-sentence, and I am unwilling to do that.





They are well taken care of (for street cats) and have many people on the block feed them, play with them, and even take them inside if they are cold, or to the vet if they are hurt or ill.





It would be wonderful if all unwanted animals could have homes, but that's just not going to happen. So we do what we can. In my neighborhood that also includes a Trap, Treat, Vaccinate, Alter, Release program that is entirely privately funded.





Don't let anyone put you down.
When I see a movie where a person is hurt, I don't care that much about it. When I see something where an animal is hurt, I get upset and angry. I think that's because animals have shown themselves to be better people than their human cousins.
It's awfully nice of you to do what you're doing. I have taken in a stray cat myself, actually, I think she adopted me and my house. She was old and ugly, but to me she was the sweetest thing. I took care of her until the day she died and gave her a place to rest after that. I blame irresponsible owners turning these animals out unaltered to reproduce at random. It's sad.
I totally agree. These are breathing beings. It's also upsetting that people would hurt these animals...especially cats...all those evil cat jokes, etc.


It was not a surprise to learn that many incarcerated people started out hurting animals.


If u have nothing helpful to say about the care of pets, then get off the blog board!
It is people like you that set the example that the rest of the world should follow. (a cat walks across my keyboard)


We do the same here and have (one rubs against my hand as I try to type) some feral cats outside that all we can do is feed and try to take care of as much as possible with worming meds etc.


There are mean people all over but my wife was told when she was a little girl that all animals had a person who had died's soul. If that is true the animal we feed and care for today may well have cared for us in the past.


Gives you something for thought, true or not.
KUDOS to you! Well said!!! I am an animal lover as well. I can not believe the amount of people who discard animals as if they are nothing. My parents even feed the stray cats in the neighborhood.


If a person can kill, maim or shoot an animal or be brutally mean to it, then those people can also kill, maim or shoot a human. No questions about it. The bible says god considers the sparrows, so how much more is god watching over us? He saw fit to take two of every kind of animal on the ark!! That says enough!


Thanks for sharing your thoughts....
I work at a cat shelter and have for 5 years. The idea that 80% of the animals taken there are put to sleep is just crap put out there by people who are trying to justify their need to collect cats. There are animals put to sleep, but a lot of that is because there are not as many people that bring in healthy, bright eyed kitties. We all know people wait until their cat has a problem that will cost money to take care of, and then bring them to the shelter. They also bring in cats that cannot be adopted, either for aggression, urinating outside the litter area, very old age...the list goes on. If people accapted the responsibility for their own cats and took them to the vet, and even had them put to sleep when they needed to, the shelters would not have to do their ';dirty work';





If somneone wants to care for feral cats, that is fine.....as long as the cats are fixed and not allowed to reproduce, get rabies vaccines when they are due, and are tested for FeLV/FIV so they are not a health risk for other cats. If these things are met, then go ahead and take care of them. If you can't provide that MINIMUM of care, then they should be euthanized. God didn't put them there, some irrisponsible owner put a cat out and never took care of it.
Keep up the good work old lady, are you able to put a trolley at the entrance of a local store with a notice asking for cat food or litter etc. that would help with your costs?
I just wish there was something more that could be done for feral/stray cat's. Because just feeding them isn't enough. but it's true that if you bring them to shelters they will be euthanized. They need medical care and homes but not many people will take it in and train it to be a good house pet. The feral cat population does need to be kept in check. It's a tuff subject huh? But another problem is when a good intending animal lover becomes a horder and doesn't have the money or space to care for the animals they take in. But well.....it's just a tuff problem.
Never mind the trolls. There is always some mouth-breathing chest-beater who thinks all solutions to cats consist of a rock, a burlap sack, and a map to the nearest river. To such morons, this is funny.





I applaud your attempt to care for these animals, but with one caveat. I'm assuming from your post that you're feeding feral cats. The problem is, if you're not getting them spayed or neutered, these cats will only multiply. Trapping and fixing all the cats in your colony will keep your numbers stable and will keep other cats from moving in on their territory. There are TNR programs (Trap Neuter Release) in some areas, and a web search might help you find one in your area. These programs can help cover the costs and volunteers can assist in trapping.





Good luck and God bless.
just wanted to tell you thank you for the cats, I bet if they could they would give you something special. thanks for all you do for them.
  • g
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment