Sunday, August 22, 2010

Recovering alcoholic, any advice on getting back to the work place?

Well educated (degree level), smart apprearance, 13 years in account management/sales, UK and overseas. 3 years ago admitted drink issue, lost 3 jobs since that time. Got help, have been in rehab and have now reached 4 months off the booze and want to get back to some normality. Lied in the past to get jobs but am tired of it. Any comments/experiences would be really appreciated.Recovering alcoholic, any advice on getting back to the work place?
really sell yourself at interviews. use your recovery as a sign of strength.Recovering alcoholic, any advice on getting back to the work place?
You've done so well, what about working for AA or in substance rehab. Where you can show others that you've done it and so can they, they need your story because it's so hard for people to kick these habits. It may mean a whole new life, but people will appreciate you %26amp; telling the truth will be a big part of it!
Just wanted to say CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!! great job


Also keep trying on the job thing


you will land one sooner or later and then build from there


also maybe try another type of job you might like it
well done for getting this far not many do well done tell them at interviews Hun be honest then tell them if they give them if they give you chance you will prove it to them
I'm going to answer your question but first I'm just howling over some other answers here.





First of all, guys, in AA, the 13th step is where you have sex with each other. Kind of a joke, but not really, when people with lots of sober time hit on vulnerable newly sober people.





Second of all, the steps aren't ';lessons';, they are a way of life, sort of like FLDS is a way of life.





Third, you can't ';work'; for AA...no jobs there, just drunks.





Okay. Now to your question. I'm recovered, 10 years. I couldn't work at first because my brain was too fried to do my job (lawyer). It actually took a couple of years for me to get my head back on straight. In the meantime, I did some other things, learned about myself (I did some grant writing, taught some classes, even considered becoming a therapist).





In your case, I am not sure what sort of obstacles you'll have to getting back on track with your career. If you destroyed a bunch of brain cells like I did, or if you burned a lot of bridges with your behavior while drinking, it might take a while for you to get back on track. You might need to do some other things or take a lesser position for a while in order to prove yourself.





One thing I would definitely advise is that you be patient with this process. It took you a long time to do the damage you did to yourself and your career, and although it probably won't take anywhere near as long to do the repairs, it isn't going to happen overnight. Like I said, it took me years to go back...and then another few before I really felt comfortable.





Good luck....and congratulations on those four months.
try part time or voluntary work .. please don't put pressure on


yourself to get back in the rat race.... even if you just live a


life of leisure as long as your sober your living !


take care .. fellow recovering alcoholic.


you'll find when people see your helping yourself ,they'll be


more than willing to help you ... thats what i found .
Good for you getting off the booze! Please stay off it. My ex husband has dried out 3 times and yesterday went back on the drink. (6 months off the drink!) I have two daughters who are deeply affected by his actions. I only mentioned to him yesterday dinner to get a job in a charity shop so that he would start back working gradually as he had been fired for not going into work 2 years ago due to being drunk and a up and coming divorce. (now divorced) I don't know if you have children but please think hard before lapsing again as it will ultimately affect them in the long run. I haven't heard from my ex hubby and I don't know if hes even alive.(I hope he is) He had a heart seizure back in October and is on a load of medication and was told that if he had another drink he could die. Please put something back into the community and start of slowly. Please don't drink again its really not worth it.
Congratulations! Education, race, religion, gender has no bearing when it comes to addictions. Having faith, trust in a higher power and oneself to seek happiness in healthy ways is the key to life.





Anxieties are normal feelings and it is our abilities to overcome them when we feel them which is usually during the time of change, doing something new...





Stay focused, reach your 13th step and only look back if you missed a lesson. Otherwise look forward, use positive affirmations every day...IE I love myself, I am sober and will stay sober, I am happy I am wealthy etc... SO BE IT!





It all starts with a thought and all you have to do is believe and have faith.





I am not one for lying but if it means accepting responsibility by being a working citizen who contributes to society vs draining and taking, then so be it.





Do not allow the disappointments get you down. They are out there all over, like the dark matter of the universe...negative energy. Stay positive no matter what!
first of all,


WELL DONE


4 months off the bottle is dam good for an alkie.


when i first got sober it was very difficult for me.


i worked as a chef and that was all i knew. i couldn't go back in a kitchen making booze based sauces and the stress was too much so i took a job washing dishes, the pay was crap. i had to lie on my CV ( dumb it down as i was over qualified)


but it was work, no stress and i could get to meetings.


i knew it wasn't forever and that's what kept it good.


so my advice.


take an easy job. cut out stress. go to meetings.


if i stay sober i can have a good life. everything falls into place.


I'm 12+ years now, a day at a time. and life is good.


im far from rich in monetary wise but I'm loaded with life..


enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment