Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hate going to the dentist. Get more scared each time as I know one day I'll need treatment. Any advice?

The way I look at it is the pain will only make me stronger! I have had 7 root canals and 1 oral surgery up to now (thanks to football). Before the procedure I pump myself up and by the time they are ready to torture me with their shots, drills and their music I am like BRING IT ON!!





I know it sounds weird but I can seriously say all my dental work has made me a better person. I absolutely hate going to the dentist and oral surgeons! But being strong and overcoming it made me better able to cope with other things in my life.Hate going to the dentist. Get more scared each time as I know one day I'll need treatment. Any advice?
I am exactly the same.i wait untill I am in agony then I am glad of the relif.Hate going to the dentist. Get more scared each time as I know one day I'll need treatment. Any advice?
well when i go i take my ipod so i don't have to listen to the sounds of the drills you could try that
my dentist prescribes me valium to take about an hour before my appointment because i get so freaked out. and if i have to have any type of work done like a filling or whatever i always ask him to use the nitrous gas. i'm aware of what's going on around me, i just don't care. it helps.
go regularly as prevention is better than the cure . i know this.from my experience
Take some Homeopathic Arg Nit before hand.


Or rescue remedy
If you keep going to the dentist regularly and take good care of your teeth, then there's no guarantee that you'll need treatment in the future, particularly if your teeth have been healthy up until now. So there's an incentive to go regularly!!
A very odd idea cured me of my fear of the dentist years ago... I got tired of embarrasingly telling the dentist I was nervous and to be gentle with me (!) each time I went, until one day I saw a new dentist and thought to myself 'He doesn't know I'm scared, I could pretend to be like a normal patient and not be scared and this guy won't look at me like a total coward' It was great! I was so proud of myself! Since then I still get a bit nervous but I know I can do it if I put my mind to it. Mind over terror, I guess!!
just remember the pain doesn't last forever.
For starters don't make the mistake of thinking that this is a unique problem which only you have. You would be surprised at how many people are really scared of the dentist. My suggestion is when you go, explain to your situation to the dentist. Voice your concerns and do not be afraid that they won't care. THEY WILL UNDERSTAND!!! Almost everyday, your dentist probably gets someone like you who is afraid of the drill and possible treatment. If it is anyone who cares about how comfortable you are in the dentist's chair, it is the dentist himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment