Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'm moving in to the dorms at college in one week any advice on how to get over being homesick?

Make friends quickly! Even if you're shy, put yourself out there right away. Go to as many campus events as possible, and don't be afraid to ask people in your dorms if they want to hang out (asking them to go to lunch or dinner is usually easiest). Remember, EVERYONE is in the exact same boat, and everyone wants to make friends. Especially the first few days, make sure your door is open at all times and appear friendly and upbeat. You may also want to consider going Greek - going through rush is a fantastic way to meet people, even if you don't join a Greek organization in the end. Most sororities and fraternities are not what most people think they are and get a really bad rep, but most people see their brothers and sisters as their family away from home -- which should be what you're going for. If going Greek isn't your thing at all, join an organization like Hall Government or an academic club.





Other than that, keep in touch with your family and friends from home, but don't spend all day talking on the phone or e-mailing them. You're in college now - focus on meeting people where you're at now. If you feel homesick, remember, you're not alone - almost everyone does.





But once you make friends, you'll feel right at home ... I promise.I'm moving in to the dorms at college in one week any advice on how to get over being homesick?
You've got a couple things going for you:


1) All the freshmen are in it together - that in itself creates an automatic bond between you and helps you make a home away from home.


2) The first weeks/months of college are CRAZY hectic and busy with trying to figure everything out and exploring campus life. This works to your advantage because it keeps you busy and distracted from homesickness.





Other than that, here's what I did: I jumped right into everything social from the first minute I got on campus. Even though I personally prefer to have a circle of close friends, it was really important for me to meet as many people as I could during the first few weeks of college. By keeping my attention on all the new things that were happening around me and all the possibilities, I only got homesick at night...and then I made sure I had an iPod with comforting music to listen to in bed. =) Good luck!I'm moving in to the dorms at college in one week any advice on how to get over being homesick?
Meet new people and form a few close bonds. Dorms kind of require that you make new friends because your all in that building together for most of the year. This is probably the best way because it starts to really make your dorm your new home - where your friends are. I'd be willing to bet, that if you make some close buddies there when you go home for winter and summer break you'll be ';home sick'; all over again and won't be able to wait to get back and see the people you hang out with.





Have fun.
Drink plenty of alcohol

No comments:

Post a Comment