Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I am a single mom and am thinking of starting a new career as a hairstylist. Any advice on how to get started?

There are several programs/grants that help single moms get an education. I had 3 children when I enrolled in beauty school. Your local beauty school will tell you if you qualify for any of these grants. My school cost $10,500..which was paid through grants, however having 3 children at home I had to take $12,000 in student loans and still owe $108 per month for 15 years!


Beauty school is more than what most people think, My state required 2000 hours, about a 14 month program. I then had to take a state law test, practical exam and a theory test at the state boards.


When I got my license I found that most jobs were minium wage or commission. Most turned out to be minium wage. I then went into barbering and managed a barber shop, then went on my own and opened my own.


Best of luck, just be aware of the commitment you will be getting into to get your license.I am a single mom and am thinking of starting a new career as a hairstylist. Any advice on how to get started?
There is so much into opening a business. I highly recommended you take some business classes at your local college or vo-tech.


You'll need to know how to start up the business from zoning to money, to building to certification and the list goes on.


So, if this is something you really want to do head back to school. You'll need a hairstylist certification so while you're there start working on a degree in business. Don't start up a business clueless. You will not last long.
  • g
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment